Posted on January 11, 2019Active
We are looking for an experienced web designer who can help us create beautiful, user-centered designs for our clients.
At our small agency, a designer works closely with project managers, developers, and clients on a wide variety of projects and for a lot of different good causes. At Giant Rabbit, a designer might:
* Develop a new logo and a style guide for a nonprofit to match their new strategic direction
* Identify the audience and key actions for a microsite, then design it
* Design an online annual report
* Lead an overhaul of an existing design to make it responsive for small and large screens
* Create an infographic for a campaign landing page
* Plan and design usability improvements for a client’s web application
* Plan and design a ground-up redesign of a complex, content-rich site
You will have a wide variety of work on your plate, giving you the opportunity to run feature designs as well as participate in end to end product development for web properties. You’ll be closely involved in the process with the support and collaboration of your colleagues, including:
* Identifying places where design thinking would benefit the user experience
* Brainstorming approaches to a problem, task, or new feature
* Collaborating with your project manager to define user groups and needs
* Reviewing designs with developers for technical feasibility
* Presenting your thinking behind a design to help clients understand and appreciate “why” certain decisions were made
* Reviewing your work once it’s built and live, and making recommendations to help clients get the most out of the designs we deliver
Giant Rabbit is looking for a candidate who:
* Has a great eye and a designer’s attention to detail
* Creates intentional, user-focused designs
* Can design for diverse brand identities of clients in a wide range of sectors
* Is a great communicator who can speak to the thinking behind a design
* Has a strong understanding of typography and color theory
* Can work independently and take ownership of a design
* Thrives on (or at least tolerates) real-world constraints of time and budget
* Has a solid working understanding of user experience
* Wants to amplify the impact of nonprofits who are making the world a better place
* Has significant professional design experience, preferably at another agency or as an independent contractor
It would be helpful if:
* You’ve designed for CMS-powered sites — such as Drupal or WordPress
* You’ve designed for nonprofits before
* You have experience with component-based design
* You have a working knowledge of HTML and CSS
Giant Rabbit is a small, Berkeley, California based web consultancy with progressive values. The organizations we serve fight for human rights, social justice, the environment, public health, safe and legal access to abortion, and LGBQT equality.
We’re open to both contract-to-hire or a direct full-time hire, depending on the candidate. We prefer candidates who are local to the Bay Area, but will consider a remote candidate who is an exceptional fit. This position has a starting salary of $75,000 to $85,000 per year, depending on experience, along with fully paid health benefits and three weeks of paid vacation that begin to accrue immediately. We offer a firm commitment to work-life balance, and a flexible office schedule — we’re all in the office on Mondays and Wednesdays, then staff are free to work from home if they prefer. We’re interested in candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds, because different perspectives among our staff make us better at our work.
To apply, please send your resume and a link to your portfolio, along with a letter explaining why you’re interested in the position, why you feel you’d be a good candidate, and the hex code of your current favorite color. If your portfolio doesn’t already make this clear, please note what role you played in the design for each project (were you part of a team? did you build the site or did you work with a developer?), what technology powers the finished site (if it’s live), and, if the site was based on a template, a link to the base template (if available) so we can see the ways in which you developed it into something specific to your client.
We’re happy to field questions about this position. Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you!
There are no bids yet.